Saturday, April 23, 2011

Salty Dog, Eddie Jelley, and the Westside Six in Detroit

One of my biggest in person guitar heroes was a guy named Eddie, who came to town in Detroit occasionally in the late 70s and played mainly at the West Side Six bar, 6 Mile road and Telegraph with his group Salty Dog. Near the end they were playing mainly originals from their (never released it seems 'Bitten by the Dog' album), but my band Blackstone would go see them, mainly to see Eddie. In fact, my nickname BECAME Eddie. Eddie had his Marshall logo cut off at MARS, which I have recreated because of the great memories. Salty Dog did songs nobody else did, Bohemian Rhapsody, Side 2 of Abbey Road, Liar by Queen, All Good People by Yes (the last two were stunning openers) - they sounded exactly like Led Zepplin - but it was Eddie .. Eddies stare .. he was beyond cool. Today I read he's headed several tribute bands (Journey and Stevie Ray Vaughn), but heres to the Eddie I remember, and was in Livonia Mich in the late 70s!

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing SD at the Silver Dollar when I was a kid, they were a really great band, I remember that original “ bitten by the dog”
    Thanks for bringing that memory back 40+ years later!

    ReplyDelete